Charming tree-lined Keilor Village, lush market gardens, lively shopping experiences, historical landmarks and beautiful natural landscapes. There’s no shortage of experiences to be had in Keilor!
Treat yourself to breakfast at one of the delicious eateries at the Keilor Village shopping centre (Old Calder Highway, Keilor), then take a stroll across the road to Cliff Harvey Lagoon Reserve (755 Old Calder Highway, Keilor) and relax amongst mature elms and expansive lawns while the kids enjoy the huge playground – there are picnic and barbecue facilities available.
Next, learn about local history as you view Harrick’s Cottage and St Augustine’s Catholic Church (both on Harrick Rd, Keilor Park) or pick up some fresh pasta or a cake on Assembly Drive, Tullamarine.
Finish the day with a stroll or bike ride in Brimbank Park along the Maribyrnong River (Keilor Park Drive, Keilor East), then enjoy dinner at a local hotel or restaurant or café – try the historic Keilor Hotel (circa 1849) or The Potsticker, both located on the Old Calder Highway in central Keilor.
51 Overnewton Rd, Keilor
One of Brimbank’s best hidden treasures, Overnewton Castle was built by Scotsman, William Taylor in 1849 who bought 13,000 acres of rich grazing land just west of the Keilor township.
Taylor built a simple single storey, six-room bluestone colonial style homestead with large shuttered windows and wide verandahs overlooking Keilor and the surrounding countryside.
It was not until Taylor returned from a trip to Scotland in 1859 that he set about turning the functional colonial homestead into a miniature Scottish Baronial Castle. A stately two-storey wing was added, along with the bluestone dairy and butcher shop, as well as the private billiard room now used as a chapel for wedding ceremonies.
Overnewton is built in the Victorian Tudor style, inspired by 16th century English and Scottish architecture, and its bluestone walls were quarried on the estate.
The years have been kind to Overnewton, and today it remains much then same as when it was originaly built. Hidden away amongst the old trees, it has seen many changes throughout the years. Gone are the days of horse and carriages, gas light and servants, but the old world grace and charm along with the elegance, grandeur and atmosphere of a bygone era still remain.